There are hundreds of different lash extensions available on the market today. Knowing which type is right for you can be difficult with that many options. Reading this guide will help you understand the different kinds of lash extensions and how to choose the right one for your look.
Let's start with the basics.
What are Lash Extensions?
Lash extensions are false or replacement lashes made from various materials, including synthetic fibres, mink, and even human hair. The fibres that make up your chosen lashes depend on your personal preferences and budget.
Synthetic fibres are the most affordable option, but they may not look as natural as mink or human hair lashes. Mink lashes are more expensive but give a softer, more natural look. Human hair lashes are the most costly option and offer the most natural look, but they are like marmite; some love them, and others think they are yuk!
What do Lash Extensions Look Like?
Lash extensions come in various sizes, from thin and delicate to thick and dramatic. The size of the lash you choose will depend on the look you are trying to achieve. If you want a subtle, demure, or natural look, go with thinner, delicate lashes. If you want a more dramatic look, more viva-viva-voom, go with thicker lashes.
The curl factor is one of the most important considerations when choosing false lashes. Lash extensions curl styles cover a gamut of styles, from straight to very curly - more on that later.
How do You Apply Lash Extensions for the Best Effect?
You fix lash extensions with a unique adhesive that is safe for use on the skin. The adhesive or glue goes on the base of the lash, and you then place the extension on top. Once the adhesive dries, the lash extension will stay in place until you remove it with a special eye-safe solvent.
Extensions can last several weeks, but eventually, you will need to replace them. The length of time they last will depend on your natural lash cycle and how well you take care of them. To keep your extensions in longer, avoid using oil-based products around your eyes, and adopt a hands-off approach - don't rub or pull at your lash extensions.
With proper care, lash extensions can give you beautiful, long-lasting results.
When did lash extensions become fashionable?
Lash extensions have been around for many years, but have gained popularity with the rise of social media, especially Instagram. In days gone by, they were mainly used by celebrities and models who needed to look their best for red carpet style events or photo shoots.
Nowadays, lash extensions are more popular and accessible than ever before. Thanks to technological advances, many lash extensions are widely available, making them less of a luxury and more of an affordable basic.
Choosing the right Lash Extension is Easy - When You Know How
When choosing a lash extension, it is essential to consider the following factors:
- The size of your lashes: Lash extensions come in various sizes. If you have tiny natural lashes and want to promote a natural look, go with a smaller size. If you're lucky enough to have more extensive lashes, go with a larger size or mix it up just as you would with your day-to-night look.
- The shape of your eyes: Lash extensions suit different eye shapes. If you have a round eye shape, look for a round lash extension or something the experts recommend for how your eye looks. If you have almond-shaped eyes, do the same. Actually, it's about what YOU think suits your face.
- The type of look you want to achieve: Lash extensions can give you a classic or glam look, depending on your chosen style and the number of lashes you want to apply. If you want a low-key look, go with thinner, wispy lashes. For a more dramatic look, go with thicker, longer, curlier lashes.
Trail and error is a good rule to follow. Play with your style, have fun and know that if you don't like the results, you can always change it - that’s why false lash extensions are so accessible.
Why lash volumes are important when choosing extensions
Lash volumes refer to the thickness or heaviness of the lash extension. Volume is a factor to consider when choosing lash extensions because it will determine the overall look of your lashes.
Different curl styles reflect different moods
The curl you choose for your lash extensions will also reflect your mood. For example, go with a straight or lightly curled lash if you want a more demure look. If you want a bolder and more confident look, go with a tightly curled lash.
On-trend styles include:
Russian Extreme Volume Lashes: Russian lashes are perfect for creating a dramatic and voluminous look.
Hybrid Lashes: These mix classic and volume lashes, giving you a natural yet fuller look.
Mega Volume Lashes: These are the thickest and most dramatic lash extensions available. They are perfect for special occasions or if you want to make a statement.
Classic Lashes: These are the original lash extensions. They are thinner and more natural-looking than other types of lash extensions.
Feather Lashes: These are light and airy, giving you a natural and feminine look.
Celebrities who are Known for their Lashes
The media is full of famous people with enviable lashes. Here are some celebrities who are known for their fabulous lashes:
- Kim Kardashian - The selfie queen, Kim Kardashian, is known for her long, thick and luscious lashes. She often uses Lashify, a semi-permanent lash extension system that allows you to apply and remove lash extensions wherever you are in the world.
- Kylie Jenner - Kylie Jenner is another member of the Kardashian-Jenner clan with fabulous lashes. Like her sister Kim, she also uses extensions to achieve her signature look.
- Ariana Grande - Singer Ariana Grande is known for her cat-eye look. To achieve this look, she uses individual false lashes on the outer corners of her eyes.
- Blake Lively - Actress Blake Lively is known for her long and thick lashes. She once said in an interview that she uses Mascara to achieve her signature look, but we think there must be an extension lash or two in the mix.
- Chrissy Teigen - Model and TV personality Chrissy Teigen is known for her long, thick and voluminous lashes. Our sources tell us that she often uses Ardell Demi Wispies, a popular style of false lashes. But you know, celebs that chop and change.
That's the best thing about false lash extensions; they can change as you do!
How are lash extensions applied?
A professional lash specialist or technician usually puts on the lash extensions in a salon. The process typically takes around 1-2 hours, depending on the number of lashes applied.
To assist the adhesive to adhere to your natural lashes more effectively, the technician will first clean your lashes and then apply a primer.
Next, the technician will select the lash extension that best suits your eye shape and desired look. The lash extension is then glued to your natural lash, one by one. The technician will usually apply around 50-100 lashes per eye.
Once all the lash extensions are in place, the technician will apply a sealant to help the adhesive bond better with your natural lashes.
Finally, they will trim the lash extensions to suit your desired look.
Can you DIY lash extensions at home?
Yes, lash extensions made for the home market are easy to use. You can find them in most beauty stores or online.
Home lash extension kits typically contain everything you need to apply the lashes, including the adhesive and a set of false lashes.
Applying for lash extensions at home is generally safe and easy if you follow the instructions thoroughly. Once you've got the hang of it, home lash products will become your go-to, they are generally the same quality as salon lashes, but the price means you can afford to include them in your regular beauty routine.
How Long do Lash Extensions Last?
According to your natural lash cycle and how well you take care of your lash extensions, lash extensions typically last 4-6 weeks.
We've said this before, but we will repeat it, so listen up, eyelash fans! To extend the life of your lash extensions, don't use oil-based products anywhere near your eyes and keep your hands away from your lashes, do not rub or pull at your lashes ever!
There are so many types of false lash extensions available to buy, but the question on everyone's lips is - what's next?
Here's our prediction for the party season... pay attention because here it comes...
Eup Glam, all the looks worn to your school disco, thanks to the influence of the stunning false lash makeup looks in the hit show Euphoria. The rise of the NOW TV hit show leads the way in all things glam. Channel your inner Zandaya or Sydney Sweenie.
You heard it here, first lash fans.