About False Nails
At FalseEyelashes.co.uk, you can now get a great deal on your favourite lashes and your favourite false nails! How cool is that? We stock a selection of the very best false nails by: Ardell, Elegant Touch, Invogue, Kiss, Nail HQ and SOSU - and we've got more great brands on the way, too.
Fake nails are all the rage on social media
If you know anything about the world of beauty, you will know how popular press-on nails are. You only have to look at a handful of women on social media or pop into your local shopping centre to see that there is a considerable focus on having nails that grab attention.
Of course, false nails aren’t used solely to lengthen an existing nail, they can also be used to showcase complex designs or cover a natural nail that has seen better days.
Though acrylic nails have been popular for many years, there has been a significant increase in the number of women (and sometimes men!) who are wearing them. This is because long nails and nail art designs are fashionable, stylish and trendy.
Plus, more and more people are realising that fake nails provide a convenient and simple way to have beautiful looking nails, without having to worry about your own nails breaking.
With such amazing nail tips, press-on gel nails and other designs of false stick-on nails, you can save yourself the cost of a professional manicure while still having fabulous nails.
What are False Nails Made From?
False nails are made of a thin, acrylic material that is applied over the natural nails and shaped to look like real nails. They are available in many different colours, shapes, and sizes.
The false nail can be used to cover up an unattractive nail or to create a new look, and sometimes they are used to protect natural nails.
Instead of taking the time to grow your own nails and then being heartbroken when one breaks, you can relax knowing that a false nail is there to take the hit. If a false nail breaks, it can be quickly and easily replaced.
How to Apply False Nails
A lot of people make the mistake of assuming that applying false stick-on nails is a difficult, complex and time-consuming task. Though it’s certainly not a task to be rushed - not if you want the end result to be an impressive one - it doesn’t need to be something you avoid.
As long as you have high quality press-on nails and a good understanding of the application process, you will be able to apply false nails relatively quickly yourself.
- Prepare Your Nails - Before you apply them, you need to prepare your own nails correctly. Not only will this ensure your new nails look as natural as possible, but it will help them to stay on securely for as long as possible. You should remove any previous polish that’s on your nails, ensuring there is a smooth and even surface for your stick on nails to be applied to. You should also cut your nails down and file them so that they are rounded, as this will prevent your nails from growing out as quickly and it means that none of your natural nails will be on show.
- Soak Your Nails - Once you have prepared your nails, soak them in warm water for between five and 10 minutes. This will soften the skin surrounding your nail and the nail bed, which will allow you to push any stray skin back. You can do this using a cuticle stick and the aim is to increase the surface area of your nails.
- Pick Out Your False Nails - Nails come in many different shapes and sizes, so it is important to pick out the ones that will work best for you. The most common shapes are square, oval, round, and almond shaped. You should also consider how long you want the false nail to be before picking a size, as they come in a variety of lengths. Before applying the nails, hold them against your own nail to see what the size and shape you have chosen will look like once they are applied.
- Secure Your False Nails - To secure the stick on nails to your own, add a few drops of nail glue to the bottom half of the false nail. As the top area of the nail is likely to be filed down or removed, there is no need to add glue to this section. Once the false nail is in place, press it down and hold for around 10 seconds. It’s important to ensure your false nails are in the perfect position before pressing and holding, as a wonky nail is hard to change once it has set in place.
- Style Your Nails - Once you are happy with the fake nails and they feel secure, it’s time to style them. This could involve you filing and shaping them or painting them, you could even go all out and attempt some nail art. This is where you can get really creative and style the nails in a way that works for you.
Applying false nails isn’t as confusing or complex as you may have initially thought. You don’t need any expert training or expensive tools, as false nails are designed to be applied at home by people just like you.
Top Tips For Applying Fake Nails
If you haven’t applied nails before, or you have done but you’re still getting to grips with the process, taking advice from seasoned professionals can be hugely beneficial. Though there is nothing difficult or complex about applying press on nails, there is a knack to getting everything right. To help you out, we have listed some of our top tips for applying false nails.
- Picking The Right Size Nail is Key - You wouldn’t buy shoes that were a size too big or too small, so why would you buy nails that are too big or too small? In order to create a professional and polished look, make sure you pick the correct size nails. If you choose a nail that’s too large or too small, it’s likely to lift and fall off sooner rather than later. There are a range of sizes to choose from, and most brands have anywhere from 10 to 20 different sizes. This means there is no excuse to choose anything other than a nail that fits perfectly. To save you time when it comes to applying another set, make a note of which sizes you chose.
- Don’t Skip Nail Prep Beforehand - Regardless of how perfectly sized your nails are, they are unlikely to stand the test of time if you skip nail prep beforehand. If you do not prepare your nails, the stick on nails are unlikely to last as long as you would like them to. This means taking the time to push your cuticles back, to create an even surface and to remove any dirt, debris or oil already on your natural nail. Your own nail needs to be completely free from dust, oil, moisturiser and liquid.
- Make Sure You Have the Right Tools Beforehand - Before you get started with the false nail application process, make sure you have the right tools to hand. Otherwise, you run the risk of starting to apply them, only to then realise you are missing something vital. This includes the acrylic nails, nail glue, nail polish, a base coat, a top coat, a nail file, small scissors, cotton pads and a cotton swab. Though you might not need to use everything, having them close by will save you time and energy. After all, you don’t want to get halfway through applying your false nails, only to realise you are running out of glue.
- Be Careful With Your Hands - Though fake nails aren’t designed to last forever, you are surely wanting them to last for as long as possible. After spending the time and money on applying stick on nails, you will want them to stay on long enough for you to show them off to friends and family. To increase the lifespan or false nails, you need to be careful with your hands. For example, use gloves when you are washing up and avoid very hot water wherever possible. Even something as simple as washing your hand can reduce the longevity of false nails, so be mindful of this when it’s time to shower.
- Take Your Time and Don’t Rush - When you want to apply nails, carve out adequate time in your day to do so. Though it’s not something that will take hours and hours, it’s not a task that you should rush. If you do, you could end up with a wonky false nail or a nail that isn’t as secure as it could be. Instead of rushing and potentially skipping a step, take your time and enjoy the process. Applying fake nails should be a relaxing and enjoyable task, and many people use it as a way to pamper themselves. If you are rushing, it’s likely to be stressful and a pain.
A lot of the skill of applying nails comes with practice; the more you do it, the better you will become. This is why you shouldn’t shy away from giving it a go yourself, as the skills to apply flawless and long lasting false nails comes with time. Plus, learning to do it yourself is considerably cheaper than monthly trips to the nail salon.
Best False Nails
You only have to spend a minute or two looking for false nails online to see just how many options there are. There are different brands, sizes, shapes and styles. This can make it difficult to choose the right nails for you, as you are surely wanting to avoid wasting your money by choosing a subpar set.
To help you out, we have listed six of the best false nail brands on the market. We stock all of these because we know they are the best.
- KISS - If you have browsed false nail brands before, you will have come across KISS. KISS is a brand that is aimed at those who want great looking nails in a convenient way. There are a tonne of false nail options with KISS, including a lot of vintage and subtle colours that are ideal for work, weddings and everything in between.
- Elegant Touch - One of the most well known, and well loved, false nail brands is Elegant Touch. It’s a brand that has been around for many years and it caters to everyone. Regardless of your age and personal style, you will be able to find false nails in the Elegant Touch range that tick every box. Elegant Touch prides itself on offering nails for every occasion, from chic and classic designs to those that will grab attention for the right reasons.
- Invogue - With Invogue, looking glamorous is simple and straightforward. All of Invogue's nails are easy to apply and easy to take off. This makes them the ideal choice for anyone who wants to boost their nail game at a moment’s notice. Invogue has an impressive range of nails, which means you won’t struggle to find exactly what you are looking for. There are square shaped, oval shaped and rounded nails. They also come in packs of 24, which makes it a lot easier to find the ideal nail size for you.
- Nail HQ - With the increasing popularity of nails, there are a lot of new brands to watch out for and one of those is Nail HQ. Nail HQ is a brand for those who like to stand out and make a statement. Though Nail HQ offers simple and classic style false nails, the brand also offers bright and trendy designs. This includes nails with pastel tips, long coffin nails with an ombre finish and a selection of mixed nudes.
- Ardell Nails - There is nothing standard or generic about Ardell Nails. This is a brand that really knows how to appeal to a hip, trendy and stylish audience. As well as simple and straightforward designs, Ardell has a number of eye-catching options as part of its collection. This includes disco chrome nails, geometric design nails, art deco nails, studded snakeskin nails and more.
- SOSU Nails - SOSU Nails, by fashionista Suzanne Jackson, has been making waves in the world of false nails. Her products have been seen on a variety of celebrities, and now it’s SOSU Nails that’s making an impact. These nails are easy to apply, easy to remove and certain to grab attention. You won’t find any boring or dull designs with SOSO Nails, and everything has been designed with a specific trend in mind.
The Benefits of False Nails
There is no denying the popularity of nails, and this is largely due to the number of benefits that come with wearing false nails. A lot of people assume the benefits to be completely aesthetic, but this couldn’t be further from the truth. There are a number of other benefits that come with wearing press on nails, whether you opt for short false nails or long false nails.
- False Nails Are Long Lasting - False nails are popular because they are long lasting. As long as they are applied correctly, having false nails means not having to worry about your own nails for weeks at a time. Not only does this save you time - everyone has been there, having to file and repaint natural nails week after week - but it also ensures your nails are looking their best for as long as possible.
- There Are Endless Design Options - There is no shortage of colours, designs and artwork that can be done on false nails. This means you can be as bright, bold and creative as you like. Regardless of whether you prefer a natural false nail look or something a little bit quirky, you won’t find yourself short of choice.
- False Nails Can Be Natural Looking - A lot of people make the mistake of assuming that false nails are always over the top and ‘fake’ looking, but this doesn’t have to be the case. There are a lot of false nails that are natural looking, and they are a great way to showcase a natural look without relying on your own nails.
- They Prevent Nail Biting - A lot of people wear false nails to prevent them from biting their nails. Nail biting is quite common and it’s a habit that’s hard to break, but wearing false nails immediately makes it impossible to do. With false nails, nail biters can enjoy having long and healthy looking nails, without having to worry about biting.
- False Nails Can Protect Weak Nails - There are a lot of things that cause weak nails and there’s not always a quick fix, but false nails can help to protect them. When you are wearing false nails, you don’t need to worry about your nails bending or breaking. You can enjoy having long nails without a second thought, and whilst avoiding the pain that often comes when a nail breaks too far down into the nail bed.
When you think about the benefits of wearing false nails, it’s easy to see why so many women - and occasionally men - of all ages choose to wear them. Instead of dwelling on breaking your own nails or having to settle for a ‘boring’ design, you can relish in the benefits of false nails. Fake nails are versatile and cost effective, often coming in much cheaper than the cost of a salon manicure.
False Nail Glue
Before immersing themselves in the world of false nails, a lot of people wrongly think that there is one type of false nail glue. However, this couldn’t be further from the truth.
Though all types of false nail glue serve the same purpose, some do so better than others. In order to properly secure your false nails to your natural nails, you need to choose false nail glue that’s strong and long lasting.
Otherwise, you could find that one or two of your nails fall off before the rest. As well as being somewhat embarrassing, you will then be faced with the task of reapplying them. To avoid any mishaps, choose a glue that is known to do the job!
Types of false nail glue
There are many types of false nail glue that you can use, from liquid false nail glue to false nails adhesive tape. The two most common types are acrylic false nails glue and non-acrylic false nails glue, both of which come in clear and coloured versions.
The best type of false nail glue for your needs depends on what material your fake nails are made from and how long you would like them to stay on.
When it comes to choosing false nail glue, you won’t be short of choice. There are a number of different brands, and all of the options are somewhat similar. With a little bit of research, you will be able to determine which false nail glue is best for you.
It’s a good idea to read reviews, ask for recommendations and see which brands are the most popular. Though false nail glue all does the same job, there are bound to be some brands which are more effective than others.
Short term glue for fake nails
If you only want to wear false nails for a short time - perhaps you don’t like wearing long nails but you have an event coming up where long nails would be perfect, or you want to make a statement with false nails at the weekend but you need to take them off before work on a Monday - you might want to consider false nail stickers.
The stickers, or adhesive tape as they are sometimes known, secure nails in place for up to 48 hours. It’s a quick and convenient way of applying false nails, without having to worry about going to great lengths to prepare your nail beforehand. This is the ideal alternative to false nail glue if you only want to wear them for a day or two at a time.
Short False Nails
There is no need for wanting short nails to hold you back from enjoying false nails, and the benefits that come with wearing them. There are a lot of short false nails to choose from, many of which will only be slightly longer than your own nails. This is the ideal compromise if you want to enjoy the advantages of short false nails, without having to have nails longer than you like.
If you opt for short false nails, you can still have nails that are chic and stylish. You will still be able to showcase your personal style, but with a handful of unique advantages.
The Practical Choice of False Nails
For example, it’s often a lot easier to do things with short nails. Typing, applying makeup and cooking are all things that are somewhat annoying with long nails. There’s also less chance of you scratching and hurting yourself or someone else with short nails.
A lot of people also think that accessories stand out more with short nails, which is good news if you are someone who enjoys showcasing a variety of rings or bracelets.
There are just as many colour and design options with short false nails, though there are slightly few shapes to choose from. Round, square and oval are all popular among those with short nails.
However, there’s no need to choose a specific shape in the same way there is with long nails. You’re unlikely to find coffee, stiletto and almond shaped short nails.
Long False Nails
As you are sure to know, long false nails are the preferred choice for many people. This is because they create a wow worthy, attention grabbing look. Even if you keep the design and polish simple, long false nails really make a statement.
Long false nails are a type of artificial nail that is applied to the finger and extends past the fingertip. These nails are typically made from acrylic or gel, but can also be made from other materials such as rubber or silicone.
Huge Choice of Natural Looking False Nail Designs
These nails can be found in a variety of lengths, shapes, colours and designs. They are designed to create the illusion of longer, shaped nails. With long false nails, there’s a lot of space to showcase designs and striking colours. If you want your nails to make a statement, long nails will do just that.
Long false nails have been popular since the late 1990s, and they have grown in popularity over time as they offer more versatility than natural nails.
There is no need to wait for your own nails to grow and there’s no need to worry about your own nails breaking, as long false nails are there to create the additional length. With long false nails, having long nails is an instant possibility.
How to Remove False Nails
Whether it’s because your false nails have grown out or you want to replace them, there will come a time when you need to remove them. It’s a common misconception that removing false nails will damage your natural nails, which doesn’t have to be the case.
As long as you remove false nails correctly, there is no reason why your own nails should be damaged in any way. Of course, picking them or pulling them off is not recommended. Not only could this cause damage to the nail underneath, but it could be painful.
Luckily, removing false nails is simple and straightforward if you follow these false nail removal steps.
- Clip Off Excess False Nail - To remove false nails, start by cutting them down as close as possible to your real nails. This can be done with nail scissors or you can file them, but the latter will take significantly longer depending on how long your nails are.
- Remove the Top Layer - Once the false nails are the same length as your own nails, use a buffer to remove the top layer of the false nails. This will create a rough surface and it removes the shine, allowing the acetone to work as well as possible. With the top layer removed, the acetone can penetrate the nail easily.
- Soak in Acetone - After buffing your false nails, pour acetone into a bowl. This should be pure acetone, which can be bought at the majority of health and beauty stores or online. Place your nails into the acetone and soak them for around five minutes. Doing this will soften the false nails, allowing for easy removal.
- Remove The False Nails - After five minutes of soaking in acetone, the false nails should begin to come away from your own nail. Using a cuticle pusher, you can begin to push the polish and acrylic away from your nails. This is also a good time to push your cuticles back, as the acetone could cause them to move.
- Soak Nails in Acetone Again - It’s unlikely that all of the false nails will come away immediately, so you might need to soak them in acetone again. Do this for a further five minutes, and then repeat the process of pushing the disintegrated false nail off of your own nail.
- Buff Any Remaining Pieces of False Nail - Even after soaking your false nails in acetone once or twice, you might notice that small pieces of false nails remain. As the acrylic will have been softened by the acetone, you should be able to remove any remaining pieces with a nail buffer.
- Massage Cuticle Oil Into Your Nails - Having your hands in acetone for a long time can cause them to become dehydrated and dry, which is why massaging cuticle oil is an equally important step in the removal process. Massage it into your nails, fingers and hands to rehydrate them. You can also buff the oil into your nails for additional moisture.
If you are someone who wears fake nails a lot, you could treat yourself to an electric nail file. This is something that professional nail technicians use, and it speeds up the removal process.
Once you have mastered how to use an electric nail file, removing nails instantly becomes quicker. Though this is obviously a more costly way of removing false nails and is by no means a necessity, it can be helpful if you are removing them regularly.
Using an Electronic Nail File
For this false nail removal technique, start by carefully filing down the false nail using your electric nail file. There is a sanding bit which is designed especially for this, and this will take off the top layer of acrylic.
Then, soak a cotton page in pure acetone and wrap it around the nail before securing in place with tin foil. Once all of your nails are covered, leave them to soak for between 10 and 15 minutes. This will loosen the false nails, which can then be pushed and fully removed using a cuticle pusher. To finish, massage cuticle oil into your hands.
How to Make False Nails?
If you want to keep your nails as cheap as possible, you can make your own false nails with suitable materials such as a plastic straw or coloured tape. However, why go to so much trouble when you can buy press-on gel nails for great value?
What is the Best Fake Nails?
The best fake nails are the ones that work best for you. You need to find the ones that you find easy to apply and remove, and that best suit your needs. For example, if you do a lot of cleaning or typing, short nail tips will probably be more suitable than long fake nails.
To shop a great range of fake nails at fab prices, look no further than our selection here at FalseEyelashes.co.uk! We stock all of the very best false nails, so be sure to place your order with us now.