Magnetic lashes are a wonderful invention created in 2014 by Katy Stoka of One Two Cosmetics; Stoka introduced magnetic false eyelashes as a substitute for traditional glue-based ones.
Since 2014 the magnetic lash market has grown exponentially and will reach 2.08 billion users by 2030. That's a whole lot of magnetic lashes and magnetic liners. We are not surprised, as using magnetic lashes is a speedy way to get a false lash look without visiting a salon.
That said, magnetic lashes need a different skill set to regular strip lash application, so with that in mind, we've consulted the experts and have a whole lot of advice, tips, and hints up our sleeves, including the answer to the question, “How long do magnet lashes last?”
How Long Do Magnetic Lashes Last?
Diving straight in with the answer to “How long do magnet lashes last?” — Lola from Lola’s Lashes says, “By meticulously sticking to the care guidelines, your lashes are expected to last for 30 days of uninterrupted all-day use.”
Nice! But the phrase ‘meticulously sticking to the care guidelines’ has twisted the knickers of our customer care team, who are at odds with the definition of this phrase, so we promise to come back to that point later.
Realistically, the lifespan of magnetic lashes is about eight times per pair, which means one week and one day of continuous wear or four weeks of weekend wear.
You see, the answer to the question is not cut and dried. Various factors affect longevity — the quality of the magnetic lashes, glue or liner, and proper care and maintenance.
How to Maintain Your Magnetic Lashes for Longevity
We said we would come back to this point, so here is an easy to follow step-by-step guide to magnetic lash application and maintenance:
- Purchase the best possible magnetic lashes you can afford from a reputable manufacturer.
- Before applying your magnetic lashes, start with clean and dry natural lashes, free of any makeup or oil-based products like a cleansing balm.
- Apply the magnetic liner on the top lash line — check the manufacturer's instructions for the best advice.
- Carefully place the two halves of your magnetic lashes onto the top line, connecting them with magnets at either end.
- Allow the magnetic adhesive or liner to dry for at least 10 minutes before clearing away any excess product that may have been left behind.
- Gently remove your magnetic lashes at the end of the day, being sure not to pull on them too harshly or too often, as this can cause damage to both the lash band and your natural lashes.
- Store your magnetic lashes in a cool, dry place away from dust and moisture — preferably in a specialised magnetic lash box.
Following these instructions will help to look after your magnetic lashes and stop them from degrading. You should know some other things if you want to get the most out of your lashes.
Can You Wear Magnetic Lashes Every Day?
You can wear magnetic lashes every day; they are safe and approved by the UK licensing body, FDA (in America), and comply with EU and US safety regulations.
However, it is important to give your natural lashes a break every few days or at least take them off at night. We do not recommend sleeping in your magnetic lashes, but we understand this happens occasionally.
Sleeping in your magnetic lashes will shorten their life span; it’s inevitable that damage will occur once you hit the sack. Most people don’t sleep on their back and side or stomach sleeping will crush your lashes and cause them to wear out faster.
Caring for Your Magnetic Lashes
Proper cleaning and storage techniques will extend the life of your lashes — here are our expert tips, tricks and common mistakes to avoid so that you can make the most of your magnetic lashes:
- Remove your lashes carefully with a pair of tweezers so as not to damage the lash band.
- Gently clean them with a mild cleanser, then lay them flat on a towel to air dry — never blow dry them or put them on the radiator.
- Once dry, brush with a spoolie or clean mascara wand and store your lashes in the original packet or a specially designed case; this will help keep them clean and away from dust and other pollutants.
- Remember to apply enough liner or adhesive when you put them on, as you don’t want to float your lashes in your cocktail instead of wearing them.
- Avoid using any makeup remover containing oil, as this can break down the manufacturing adhesive and cause them to lose shape.
- Never leave your lashes in warm, humid environments, as moisture will damage them, making them unwearable.
- Don't forget to replace your magnetic eyelash kit every few months to ensure they look their best for longer.
Nothing in life lasts forever, but follow these tips, avoid common mistakes, and you will get maximum wear from your magnetic lashes.
Choosing High-Quality Magnetic Lashes
Magnetic lashes are a firm favourite with our customers and staff at FalseEyelashes HQ — here are the lashes you love and the ones we love — plus links so you can buy a set or two so you’re ready for the weekend.
Top customer favourites are — Ardell Magnetic Naked Liner and Lash Kit — 426. These gorgeous lashes come with a top-brand liner, offering reliability, ease of application, and a great price point.
Others you love are — Kiss Magnetic Eyeliner & Lash Kit — Charm and Lola's Lashes x Liberty Hybrid Magnetic Lash Kit — VIP. We love that you rate these lashes because these magnetic beauties are for queens who want a luxurious, full-on glam look that’s still easy to apply and remove.
HQ choices are Kiss Magnetic Eyeliner & Lash Kit — Entice and Eylure Pro Magnetic Eyeliner & Lash Flare Kit — Faux Mink Lash Flares are super versatile and gorgeous.
However, Bob, from the accounts department, prefers his Carhartt hat — you can’t always please all the people.
So magnetic lash fans, get your lashes on and go into the world knowing that you’ve up to 30 wears to make a statement.