There are many misconceptions when it comes to false eyelashes and mascara. Many people presume the two shouldn’t be used in conjunction with one another, misleading you to believe that you have to choose just one of the products.
However, when used correctly, mascara and false eyelashes can actually benefit one another. So, here are a few do’s and don’ts about exactly how you should be using them, and you can find the answer to whether you can put mascara on fake lashes.
Although they can be worn together, it's worth bearing in mind that applying heavy mascara to your favourite lashes can cause them to deteriorate faster than they would if you did not apply glue.
Mascara with False Eyelashes Do’s:
- It is recommended that you apply one thin coat of mascara to your natural lashes before applying fake eyelashes.
- This allows the falsies to easily stick to your natural lashes and provides a more natural, seamless blend between the lashes and lash band.
- Cutting your strip eyelashes to fit your eyes perfectly can be a big help with achieving the most natural look too! Learn how to trim false eyelashes here!
- Once you have applied your false lashes, apply mascara to your lower, natural lashes as you normally would to complete your look and add extra definition for a wide-eyed effect. Alternatively, you can wear under lashes.
- Always make sure to wait for the mascara to fully dry before applying your lashes on top, getting mascara directly on the false lashes lessens their life span and also, wet, smudged mascara is not a good look, nobody wants panda eyes!
Mascara with False Eyelashes Don’ts:
- Waterproof mascara is made to stay on all day, and difficult to remove. You really have to rub hard on the false lashes to remove any residue. This can damage your false eyelashes and make them unusable to re-wear.
- Heavy mascara. Never apply thick mascara to your false lashes as this can be difficult to remove. It may make your lashes look clumpy, and you may not be able to achieve the look you want!
- Mix mascara with lash extensions, like Russian lashes!
Why you shouldn't apply mascara to false lashes
We do understand that applying mascara to false lashes is down to personal preference. However, we never suggest customers apply mascara directly onto false eyelashes as this can damage the lashes (particularly more delicate styles) meaning they are less likely to be reusable.
Mascara can also ruin the appearance of the falsies making the lashes clump together. It is important to note that when talking about the use of mascara with false lashes, this includes all types of lashes, even faux mink lashes, and magnetic lashes!
Can I use mascara as eyelash glue?
We don't recommend that you do. This is mainly because it doesn't last like glue does so you could lose your false eyelashes halfway through the night! It is also an extremely messy way to apply your falsies. Use glue for a seamless application that lasts!
How to remove false lashes
When removing your false lashes and mascara, gently peel the falsies off first, then go on to remove your eye makeup as normal using your personal choice of eye makeup remover or cleanser.
Don't let the sticky leftover glue ruin your lashes, using an eyelash glue remover can keep your lashes clean and ready for use over and over again. To get the most out of each pair, here's one of our post that provides tips for properly removing your false lashes.
So, can you put mascara on fake lashes?
In short, we don't recommend it. But if you were wondering if you had to wave goodbye to your mascara wand in favour of falsies, or vice versa, there’s no need to do either. If used in the correct manner, you can continue to apply both lashes and mascara for added impact!
If you’re unsure of whether you require lashes at all, we have curated a blog post consisting of the pros and cons of mascara and falsies. We also have numerous blogs, all with the best tips for applying false lashes!
Do you have any top tips on using mascara and false eyelashes together? We’d love to hear from you!